Saturday, January 07, 2006

Wisdom

I just did an interesting search.  I wanted to see how many times the word “Wisdom” was listed in the book of Proverbs.  In the New Living Translation “Wisdom” is found 49 times in Proverbs.  Wisdom is also found another 52 times in the New Testament.  Proverbs 3 could be called the “Wisdom Chapter” in Proverbs as it is the one where the word Wisdom is found six times.

I really take Proverbs 3 to heart.  In verses 5-18 we find a directive based on wisdom.

5Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. 6Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths.

7Don't be impressed with your own wisdom. Instead, fear the LORD and turn your back on evil. 8Then you will gain renewed health and vitality.

9Honor the LORD with your wealth and with the best part of everything your land produces. 10Then he will fill your barns with grain, and your vats will overflow with the finest wine.
         
11My child, don't ignore it when the LORD disciplines you, and don't be discouraged when he corrects you. 12For the LORD corrects those he loves, just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights.
         
13Happy is the person who finds wisdom and gains understanding. 14For the profit of wisdom is better than silver, and her wages are better than gold. 15Wisdom is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her. 16She offers you life in her right hand, and riches and honor in her left. 17She will guide you down delightful paths; all her ways are satisfying. 18Wisdom is a tree of life to those who embrace her; happy are those who hold her tightly.

This is something that I have to go back to and re-read over and over again.  This is something that I want written on my heart.  This is how I want to live my life.  Thanks to the Fred Challenge that I’ve been taking for the last nine months or so, the Lord has impressed on my heart the word Wisdom over and over again.

With having the Lord impressing the word Wisdom on my heart so much I take it as the Lord giving me direction and confirmation to return to college and to seek my degree.  I know that I will gain great knowledge, understanding, and most importantly, wisdom in college.  Almost without exception when I do my nightly readings in the book of Proverbs the word Wisdom jumps off the pages and hits me in my heart.

One thing about wisdom that I do know is that for way too many years I’ve tried and tried to make it on my own without the wisdom to lead me and make me successful.  That I know will change now.  Now I seek to move in God’s time and to stop and allow myself to be filled with wisdom.  Going right back to the above Scripture with Proverbs 3:13 “Happy is the person who finds wisdom and gains understanding.”

Maybe now for once in my life I can have that true happiness that I know the Lord has been trying so hard to give me all of these years!

Be Blessed!

BIG SCOTT

1 comment:

Katiez Furry Mewz said...

"Now I seek to move in God’s time and to stop and allow myself to be filled with wisdom."

Absolutely!!
Scott, there's this guy's blog on the web-- like in the highlighted of the dashboard.
http://thesplinteredmind.blogspot.com/

He has ADHD, too.

You might like checking out his site... -katie