Thursday, January 26, 2006

A Great Question!!!

I just had a question put to me that I thought that I’d pass on here along with my reply and some commentary. I know that I addressed something close to this question a few months ago but it’s important enough to share again. The question I received is “In general (I am just curious) if Bipolar Disorder gets worse or better as a person ages if it is not treated or treated incorrectly?”

Here’s my response. “I've read many reports that say that yes, Bipolar disorder does get worse with age if untreated. As for me I went untreated and undiagnosed until I was 42. Looking back that's exactly what happened to me, I just kept getting slowly and progressively worse and worse. I had a really wild Bipolar swing and crash when I was 21/22 years old. I also had some pretty bad swings and crashes when my wife divorced me in 1996 and again in 1998 when I was sidelined for the better part of a year do to surgery. I recovered from those crashes BUT I kept getting progressively worse until I had no choice but to seek treatment about a year ago.The absolute worst mistake I ever made in my life was to wait an extra 20 years to get help!!! To list what Bipolar disorder took from me in the last 25 years would take way more time and space then what we have here!” I guess you could say I’ve got pretty strong feelings now about getting help. Let me just say you’re not weak or anything else negative if you have something bothering you Mental Health wise if you seek help.

The advances that have been made in the last ten years in the mental health field are just astonishing. People that have had problems for years and years such as my self are now finding freedom! We are now receiving the freedom to be ourselves, to be successful, to lead a positive, wholesome, and healthy life! I can only imagine where I would be today if I would have had the help just ten short years ago that I have today!

If know one gets anything else out of this column than this, please pay attention here! I’ve got my life back and if you’re suffering from any kind of mental illness no matter how small or how big you to can have your life back! There is help available! If you know of someone that you think could use some help, please, by all means, pass this column along!

I live here in Kansas and here in Kansas we are so blessed to have a network of State sponsored mental health affiliates that are there to help irregardless of your ability of to pay or not to pay. Many other states have such networks available too. If you’re blessed with a job that provides benefits more then likely you’ve got a Mental Health rider on your insurance plan. Use it! It’s there for you to use! Many doctors today are cross trained to have a basic understanding of mental health issues and your family or primary care physician can be a great place to start.

So there you have it, my quarterly “Jump up on my soapbox” mental health speech. I can only hope and pray that it falls upon the ears and hearts that need to hear this and this will be the start of a great healing for someone. I know this, the Lord wants you to have a good and healthy life, including mental health and so do I!

Be Blessed!

BIG SCOTT

No comments: