Thursday, January 19, 2006

Wake Up Week

Like I said a couple of days ago this sure has been a wake up week for me.  I think that I might have a harder time keeping up with the kids in college then what I thought that I would.  I need to get in proper study habits.  Right now I’m having a hard time studying.  I need to lay down the law on myself and study and not let myself get distracted.

One class that I was hoping to cruise in is looking like it’s going to be more of a fight then I thought it would.  My computer systems class is going to be tough.  I’m finding out real fast how much computers have advanced in the last three years and how much I forgot over those three years.  I sure wish I would have kept up on some of my technical knowledge.  I fighting to remember some of the code I used to know and take for granted.  

One thing I like about this class my instructor Ralph.  Ralph is an ex-Navy guy that’s used to leading people.  Ralph has a boisterous voice.  Ralph knows how to keep your attention.  That’s a good combination for someone like me that has ADHD.  Ralph likes looking at all of his students in his eyes to see where they’re at.  Ralph keeps looking at me and asking “Are you with me?”  I pray I can stay with him.

All is not bad though.  My English Comp class was a class that I feared since I have not had English since Junior year in High School which was 26 years ago in 1980.  I’m a consummate reader and apparently that has honed my English skills over the years.  The class that was one of the ones I feared is looking like it just might be one that I actually get to enjoy!

The jury is still out on my College Accounting class.  I’ve got I would say a pretty good and caring instructor in this class.  I did get a little lost once in a while last night which was our first meeting.  With my ADHD I get free tutors and I betting that I’ll use one for my accounting class.

One thing that I need to keep in mind and make sure I take full advantage of when I need it is using tutors and some of the other resources that I have available to me.  Those resources are there to help me.  It could be that those resources good very well be my lifesaver with my classes.  I can now turn the tables and let my ADHD & my Bipolar be a blessing to me for once!

Reading in Today’s Proverbs two separate Proverbs jump out at me.  First Proverbs 19:14 reminds me how great of a wife I really do have.  “Parents can provide their sons with an inheritance of houses and wealth, but only the LORD can give an understanding wife.”  And then Proverbs 19:20 reminds me why I’m back in college.  “Get all the advice and instruction you can, and be wise the rest of your life.”

Be Blessed!

BIG SCOTT

No comments: