Monday, January 30, 2006

Enjoying Parts of College

I actually had a pretty good time at college tonight. I started off this evening with my English Comp 1 class. I’ve got a great instructor who really makes it easy to understand what she’s teaching plus she’s great at coaxing good work out of a person. I was visiting with her after class and she informed me that she really thought that my blog writing was really good and she enjoyed reading it. That kind of made my day.

Now before you get carried away here saying that I just said that as a butter job because she’ll read this and give me a gold star or something, you’re right! No, no, no, just kidding! Sheesh! I’m not that bad! In fact she told me that she only gets to read my blog about once a week and then only if I let her know that I’ve put up something that she needs to see. So there! I’m off of the hook!

Last Monday evening was the first meeting for our Public Speaking class and I missed it due to home reasons. I was told by some of my classmates that I didn’t miss much and that it’s a boring class. I think tonight they all of a sudden realized that they had spoken just a little too soon. We were busy tonight! We didn’t have time to get bored! I thought that I wrote a lot in English Comp but after Public Speaking tonight I feel like I must have wrote enough to kill a tree. Who would have thought there was so much to write just to speak? Not me, that’s for sure!

I’ve decided pretty much that I’m going to change my major at Cowely back to Political Science which is what it’s been since 1998. I’m not strong in advanced math such as algebra and such and in fact with my ADHD any class such as Accounting where we have to sit and memorize rule after rule and equation after equation I can get lost really fast. With business I had what I felt was an unwinable battle ahead of me. I figured better to stick with what I know I can excel at then to try to tackle something and expect failure.

At Wichita State I think that I’m going to change my major to just a General Studies degree with an emphasis in both Political Science and Religion. I really feel that the Lord is going to use me to go out and preach in the future and a good, well rounded education will be invaluable there. Besides, working in Real Estate I feel that people will look more at the fact that you have a degree then what your degree is in.

Here’s another thing that I’m considering. If I ever decide to teach I’ve got my degree in General Education which I can use to get my teaching degree. I’m getting close to having enough college hours acquired that I can start working as a class Para-Professional and doing substitute teaching. One thing that I have considered is going to work for the Wichita School District and work in a classroom setting in the daytime and go to school at night.

If I do go the school route I’ve got my summers off to spend with my family and umpire baseball. For once it will be nice to have something to fall back upon besides driving a big old truck! Every time in the past when the economy took a downturn or something happened and I lost a job and I had to crawl back up in a truck it’s been hell on both my family and me.

Now that we’ve got my ADHD under control and we’re getting a pretty good handle on my Bipolar disorder I feel that I can now explore new horizons. I really feel that God has caused new doors to open, new horizons to appear, and a whole new world is now developing before my eyes. Even though the last few weeks have been pretty rough with my Bipolar, I am really starting to feel good about my future. The Lord has really given me a new hope!

All I’ve got to do is press on.

I hope you’re pressing on too!

Be Blessed!

BIG SCOTT

No comments: