Tuesday, December 06, 2005

mEdS cRaSh!!!

One of the problems with Bipolar disorder is that you’re going to have some bad days.  It’s just going to happen, it’s a fact of life.  Meds are meant to help you have fewer bad days.  In addition meds also help take the edge off of those bad days.

Unfortunately, we still don’t have a perfect balance on my meds.  My meds are getting better but we still have a ways to go.  A few weeks back my psychiatrist had me back down my Lexapro anti-depressant from 20 mg a day to 10 mg a day because we felt that the Lexapro was triggering mania.  About two weeks ago my psychiatrist took me off of Lexapro all together at my urging.

It was a bad mistake dropping the Lexapro completely.  My other meds did not take over on my depression like we hoped they would.  After I got off of Lexapro some pretty bad depression set in and triggered some other problems as well.  I’m back on Lexapro now and things are starting to get better.

I guess the moral of the story here is that when you’re trying to get your meds balanced out don’t get in a big rush.  It’s going to take a while, sometimes even maybe a year or so to find the right combination of meds.  Also, don’t try to talk your doctor into making big changes or dropping or changing meds over and over.  Doing thinks like that is a good way to have a big crash or relapse with your meds and your treatment.

Hope my experiences can help others.

Be Blessed!

BIG SCOTT

No comments: