Sunday, December 04, 2005

Bob, I Did It Again!

One of the joys of being Bipolar is that you have the pleasure of “hypo-mania.”  Hypo-mania is a state of mind where one is very hyped up, juiced, wound up, or just easily bouncing off of the walls.  Fortunately for me, this is where I probably spend the better part of my waking day.  No matter where I’m at in my Bipolar mood swings I normally have some hypo-manic time just about every day.  This is also the speed normally where people like Robin Williams or Ty Pennington operate.

This evening was no exception.  Sometimes when I’m in my hypo-mania weird, funny, exciting, and sometimes slapstick kinds of things happen.  I’m also very prone to having repeat times of calamity.  One of the things that I seem to have a knack for is blowing the doors on microwaves.  I have been doing pretty good as I haven’t blown a door on a microwave for about four years now.  Let me rephrase that, up until tonight I haven’t blown for about four years.

For those of you that may not have been following my blog from the start here’s a recap.  When I was Sales Manager at Trinity Motors back in about 2001 I had bought one of those 20 ounce bottles of pop to drink on a hot summer day.  I got busy with customers and such and by the time I got back to my pop it was warm.  I figured I’d just put it in the freezer for a bit & I’d have a nice, cool bottle of pop again.  I got busy and forgot about that pop.

The next day I was thirsty as it was another hot Kansas day.  I remembered that pop in the freezer.  I figured what the heck, I’d just put it in the microwave for a bit and then once again I’d have a nice, cool, drinkable pop.  I put the pop in for about thirty seconds and nothing happened, it was still frozen.  I turned the dial a little ways farther and stepped into the shop to ask Chris a question.  Chris and I were standing around the corner from the microwave deep in one of our conversations and the next thing we knew… BLAM!  There went my pop & the microwave door.  Chris was laughing so hard I thought that he would hurt himself!

Fast forward to tonight.  I’m in the kitchen scrambling around trying to fix dinner.  I was making low-carb penne pasta with garlic alfredo sauce.  I cheated as I bought Ragu.  The nice thing about Ragu is that it comes in a glass container and if you’re VERY careful you can heat it right in the container.  You notice I did say careful, right?  

Did I mention that once again I was hypo-manic tonight?  Well if you haven’t guessed already I did it again.  I had one of our daughters put the containers in the microwave.  I told her to stir it when she sees it starting to boil on the edges.  It’s kind of hard to pay attention to the microwave when Dad is going full tilt in the kitchen.  Just as my wife walked in and said something to me, KER-BLAM!  There went another microwave door!  OOPS!

I didn’t say a word.  It wasn’t my daughters fault as she was trying to stay out of my way!  I just went and got the rags and started cleaning.  The good news is that it made our kitchen smell great with a distinct wafting of the smell of garlic!

I’ll end this on a family note here.  I guess this is like father, like son kind of thing.  Yesterday our 2 ½ year old put a mini bagel in the other microwave and turned the timer to 15 minutes.  Our 13 year old daughter smelled smoke and ran in the kitchen.  She said the bagel was engulfed in flame but the flames went out when she shut the microwave off.  I guess 12 minutes is a little to long to heat a bagel!

Two microwaves in two days.  Even in our house that’s a record!  Oh well…

Be Blessed!

BIG SCOTT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's funny!!! thanks for sharing.

Katie