Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Thanks Mrs. Murphy!!!

I took my English Placement Test at college today to see where and in which English course I need to be placed. There are four levels in which you can start. Basic English is for those that need the basics, College English is a refresher course, English Comp 1 is your standard starting class, & then Honors English is for the brainiacs. I haven’t taken any English now for 25+ years. The last English class I completed was in high school. Believe it or not I still scored smack dab right in the middle of English Comp 1. Heck, I would have been happy just to make College English!

I also took my reading test today. I expected to do well there, just not quite as well as I did there too. I scored a 97 out of a possible 100! The only reason I received a 97 was that I did the test to fast! The test had three different sections and I blew through one of the sections too fast. I didn’t miss any questions, I just didn’t take enough time on one section. The only thing I can figure is that I was docked three points as someone must have thought the only way one can do it that fast is to guess. I didn’t guess on the test but I guess they must have thought that I guessed on the test! I tested completely out of having to take any reading classes.

If anyone happens to see our English teacher from our Junior & Senior years in high school, Mrs. Evelyn Murphy, please give her a great big hug for me. As near as I can tell she must have done an incredible job pounding English into my head those two years. Like I said, it’s been 25+ years, so for me to still get that much right after all of these years tells me that Mrs. Murphy did a great job with me. Mrs. Murphy was one of those few teachers that had an incredible gift in reaching students that most other teachers had just wrote off. I see now that I was one of those students that she reached.

Now, about that math… Ouch! Need a little more work there!

Be Blessed!

BIG SCOTT

No comments: