Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Fred Challenge!

I try to read one chapter of Proverbs every day. Proverbs has 31 chapters which works out nice since all but one month has either 30 or 31 days. A good friend and Christian brother of mine, Fred of Fred’s Smoked Meats, challenged me some time back to read a one chapter of Proverbs every day for a year. This is what I call the “Fred Challenge.”

Today, being the 9th I’m reading Proverbs 9 & verses 1-12 really jump out at me.
1 Wisdom has built her spacious house with seven pillars. 2She has prepared a great banquet, mixed the wines, and set the table. 3She has sent her servants to invite everyone to come. She calls out from the heights overlooking the city. 4"Come home with me," she urges the simple. To those without good judgment, she says, 5"Come, eat my food, and drink the wine I have mixed. 6Leave your foolish ways behind, and begin to live; learn how to be wise."
7Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get a smart retort. Anyone who rebukes the wicked will get hurt. 8So don't bother rebuking mockers; they will only hate you. But the wise, when rebuked, will love you all the more. 9Teach the wise and they will be wiser. Teach the righteous, and they will learn more.
10Fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom. Knowledge of the Holy One results in understanding.
11Wisdom will multiply your days and add years to your life. 12If you become wise, you will be the one to benefit. If you scorn wisdom, you will be the one to suffer.”

These twelve verses speak volumes to me in a two-fold way. First I know that as I read the Book of Proverbs every day I will gain wisdom that I can use in my everyday life. Proverbs and Psalms are known as the “Wisdom Books” in the Bible. After six months of this I can really tell a big difference in how I look at things and people in my everyday life. The second point that is made to me here is that I also get a reaffirmation that yes, I do indeed need to keep pursuing my college education.

I challenge you to take the Fred Challenge. You might just be amazed how much wisdom God will pour into you through the Fred Challenge!

Be Blessed!!!

BIG SCOTT

No comments: