Friday, November 04, 2005

My Kewl Sis!

I’ve got such a kewl Sister!  OK, a whole bunch of people just went “Huh?  A sister?  Since when have you had a sister?”  I guess I had better back up a little ways here!

Let’s go back to 1970’s Ingalls, Kansas.  We’re going back to 1975 to be exact.  My Father, Mother, & I moved in to Ingalls from the country right before my Father passed away in early 1974.  In 1975 if I remember right our class was blessed with a perky little girl named Robin.  Robin and I had a lot of stuff in common.  For starters, we were both adopted.  Another thing that Robin and I had in common was that we were both made fun of quite a bit.

Robin lived just a half block down the street from me which meant that Robin lived about half way to school on the route that I walked.  Many, many times I would hang out at Robins doing homework and stuff until our parents got home, which just happened to be at the same time since Robins dad was the town banker and my Mom just happened to work for him.  Kind of handy here, don’t you think?

Anyway, Robin got me through a bunch of my classes, especially math & algebra.  I didn’t know it at the time but looking back I know even back then I was ADHD & being ADHD my study time shall we say, stunk!  I hated to study outside of class!  I couldn’t keep my attention in a book for more then five minutes if my life would have depended on it!  Here is where Robin came to the rescue!

Many times Robin would help me with my studies and keep me applied to studying even when I was in another world.  I guess at times I was a pretty good project for Robin!  If it wasn’t for Robin I would probably be stuck in Mr. Batmans 7th Grade Algebra!  Thank you Robin for saving me there!

Robin was the only girl in her family.  Robin had two brothers.  The older one was the jerk that always picked on Robin and I while the younger one was the little kid.  With that in mind, it’s easy to see why Robin and I developed such a close relationship, basically adopting each other as brother and sister.  Hey, we were both adopted once already, why not do it again!
After graduation Robin and I went our separate ways.  Both of us wound up in the world doing garbage that definitely was not pleasing to God.  We both got ourselves into a ton of trouble.  For almost twenty years we did not even have contact with each other.

Now here’s the amazing part.  After that twenty year period, Robin and I gradually started making contact with each other again.  Early this year when my life basically collapsed I felt God telling me to call Robin.  Feeling hopeless and with no where to turn and basically feeling like I didn’t care anyway I called Robin.  What God did in that phone call was an absolute classic, move of the Holy Spirit!

God instantly mended our brother/sister relationship and God used His Holy Spirit to move through Robin to minister to me in a way to this day still sends tingles running down my back when I think of it.  God spoke to Robin and gave her words in the Holy Spirit that was exactly what was needed to be said to save my life!

Since that first phone call this year, Robin and I have spent a great deal of time talking with each other.  In fact, God has allowed me to even minister back to Robin on a few occasions!  Now our spouses are involved too!  It hilarious when my wife & Robin get on the phone as they start cackling like a couple of supercharged hens!  Anyone taking bets on me being in trouble now?

Anyway, yesterday I was having trouble with my meds & I called Robin.  I knew what I needed to do but I just wasn’t doing it.  Robin crawled up inside of my ear via that phone and chewed me out and got me going in the right direction again.  Just for the record, I did do as Robin said to do and I called my nurse & filled her in on what was going on.  The nurse got a hold of the doctor like Robin said she would.  It didn’t take long and phone was ringing and the doctor was making some serious changes on my meds, once again, just like Robin said she would!  It sure is nice having a wise sister!

After Robin got done chewing me out last night we also had some fun on the phone.  We decided that next August we’re going to have a family reunion right here in Wichita!  Kelly & Mardell are planning on coming down from Colorado Springs.  We’ll get Barry to fly in from Chicago.  And we’re hoping everyone else will stop on by and see us too!  I can hardly wait!  It brings tears to my eyes just thinking of all of the restoration God has in the works for our little family!

I could keep rambling on about Robin and the rest of our little family known as the Ingalls High Class of 81’ but I better stop here.  Just to interject a side note here.  When there are only 17 of you graduating together in a class, it’s no longer just a class, it’s a family!

Be Blessed!

BIG SCOTT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say how I like your writing style. It's informal and lighthearted!!! And you have a great sis!! Glad you got your meds sorted out.

--Katie Kat
www.geocities.com/bkatriel