Saturday, March 04, 2006

Why Can't I...

Who am I called to be?  That is the question that the Lord put to me tonight.  I’ve been thinking over the past couple of days of how I’ve reacted when temptation or adversity came my way.  My focus was on how this preacher or that evangelist would have handled a given situation that presented itself to me.

I was listening to Jesse Duplantis on television the other night talk about how he had been propositioned in an airport.  Jesse said that he jumped up and shouted “Spirit of Jezebel!  Be gone from me!”  I thought when I heard Jesse say that “Man, why can’t I be more like Jesse!”  On I went.  I kept telling my self “if only I could…”  The problem is I’m not Jesse.

I am me.  I am who I am.  I am who God made me.  I was not called to jump up and shout when temptation or adversity comes my way.  I’m not saying that I should just cave in, that would be terribly wrong.  What I am called to do is to tackle temptation and adversity in a way that God has provisioned me to do so.

No two people are made by God to handle temptation and adversity in the same way.  God made us all to be different.  The Apostle Paul speaks about this in 1 Corinthians Chapter 12.  In verses 19 & 20 Paul says “If they were all one part, where would the body be?  As it is, there are many parts, but one body.”  We are all different but yet we are part of one body.  We are a body of believers, the Church.

How do we know though on how to deal with temptation and adversity?  It’s simple really and it’s something that when I do it, it works wonderfully.  Proverbs 3:5 & 6 says “Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths.”

Focus on God, trust in God, and be led by God.  When I do those three little things they cause one big thing to happen in me.  I become the man that God wants me to be and I can face any temptation or adversity that comes my way.  I’m sure God made it simple for guys like me!

Be Blessed!

BIG SCOTT

No comments: