Thursday, March 09, 2006

I Pray In School!

“As long as there are tests in school there will be prayer in school.” Anonymous. That’s just exactly what I was thinking this evening as I was headed to college to complete my last mid-term final. I was sweating this final and I was praying for God to help me out as I needed to get a good grade tonight.

When I got to class and took my seat I had a great overwhelming feeling of not wanting to be there. All I could do was just say under my breath “OK God, I really do need your help here!” Before me I had a one hundred final exam in my computer Hardware/Software class. When our instructor said “Begin” I just took a really long, deep breath and once again speaking under my breath I said “OK God, here we go!”

The test was taken on a computer which I liked as I was just able to click and choose answers. I made good time on the test. I was the third person done with the test. When I was finished with the test I took another huge, deep breath and clicked the “Finished” button. The computer analyzed my test and gave my results immediately back to me.

The way the computer gave your results back to you was by displaying all one hundred answers with your cumulative total at the end. The first thing that I saw was the very first answer and it was wrong. My heart sank. My first thought was that I blew it. I couldn’t look at any other questions. I just scrolled straight to the bottom to see how I did over all.

I got to the bottom and I had to do a double take. For some reason I had to reassure myself that the score I was seeing was indeed my score. There it was, the highest score of any test I’ve taken in this class and this was my final! The hardest class of this semester for me and right there before me was sitting a “B” grade for the final! I couldn’t hold it in, I had to let out a shallow “Yea!”

As this is an advanced class you have to have department head approval to just get into this class and I just nailed it with a “B!” All of our testing and grading in this class is all done computerized it only took a minute to compute our final grades for the class. Our instructor came back to me and told me that I had just raised my final grade for the class to a “B” also. I was so excited I just about jumped up and gave him a hug!

I grabbed my stuff and headed for the parking lot to our van. As soon as I got out the front door I was on my cell phone to my wife. When my poor wife answered I probably just about blew out her eardrum yelling “I DID IT! I NAILED MY FINAL! PRAISE GOD I DID IT!”

I got to our van and I still had my wife on the phone. All I could say as I was driving home and talking to my wife was “Thank You Jesus! Thank You Jesus!” Can you tell I’m just a little bit excited? Probably not!

I’ve had some doubts this semester about whether I made the right decision going back to school. I’ve also had some setbacks in a couple of classes too. I had a ton of weight decision wise riding on my mid-term finals. I took my English Comp test last night. I love my English and I aced it like I expected to. But tonight was the real test. If I didn’t do well tonight I would have probably taken a hard look at whether college is right for me or not.

I once again hope that my success can encourage others. If a hard headed guy like me that has both Bipolar disorder and ADHD can be successful in college taking difficult courses such as I talked about here then just maybe I can give that gift of hope to others to attempt difficult and challenging things. Just because you have a disability or a disorder doesn’t mean that you can’t succeed. Rather I hope others do what I did and look to God for guidance and strength to push onward and upward.

And when you do succeed remember where your success, your support, and your determination in your heart comes from. Look to the Heavens and say…

THANK YOU JESUS!!!

Be Blessed!

BIG SCOTT

No comments: