Thursday, August 18, 2005

Living with BP and trying to be a Christian is an interesting concept

I received a note today. Here’s a short excerpt: “Living with BP and trying to be a Christian is an interesting concept. It was impossible for me.”

I really felt the leading of the Holy Spirit on me as I wrote this today. Here is my reply. Please feel free to pass it on if you so desire!

It is only impossible if we don't believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God and that he died for our sins and rose again to set us free. If you believe that, then it is possible!

I've actually found that having a supporting church makes it to where I couldn't even dream of living with the diagnoses I have! I will say that some of the churches where I've attended in the past would have made this just the opposite! The four gospels (Matthew, Marl, Luke, & ESPICIALLY John) are so chocked full of Jesus reaching out to those that are hurting!

Try looking at being a Christian in a different light.

What does it mean to be a Christian?

Does it mean doing everything right?

Ephesians 2:8 & 9 (New Living Translation) says "8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast." I can't be a Christian if I have do everything right. I guarantee you when I'm manic like I was earlier today, my wonderful wife had to rife me pretty hard to keep me under control. When I'm on a mood swing, I am very prone to sin (Ephesians 2:8, above).

Here in Wichita, we've been dealing with this nightmare called BTK. Today, the BTK murderer was sentenced to life in prison plus 40 years. Can a person the heinous & vile be saved by Jesus & go to heaven?

Romans 3:21-23 (New Living Translation)

21But now God has shown us a different way of being right in his sight--not by obeying the law but by the way promised in the Scriptures long ago. 22We are made right in God's sight when we trust in Jesus Christ to take away our sins. And we all can be saved in this same way, no matter who we are or what we have done. 23For all have sinned; all fall short of God's glorious standard.

Will we see Dennis Rader aka BTK in Heaven? Quite possibly. If God can save BTK, I would have to say you're "a piece of cake!"

I would say rather then trying to be a Christian with mental disorders, try just believing in Jesus and let Jesus take it from there! Jesus loves you, there's no doubt about that! I'll go you one better, Jesus loves you for who you are, Jesus loves you no matter what you've done, Jesus loves you right where you're at, & Jesus is waiting for you with open arms!

Try reading the Book of John in the New Testament. I'd recommend an easy to read version like the New Living Translation which I use or the New Century or the New International Versions which I also enjoy because they are so plain, clear, & easy to understand.

A side note here. I've really been battling a down swing to the depression side in my Bi-Polar for about a week now. Yes, I am a Christian and yes, I do have depression. Anyway, one of the things that helped bring me out of this down swing was having the opportunity to reach out and write this to others like me. This has helped me a ton! I hope it helps you too!

Be Blessed in Jesus!

BIG!

2 comments:

Amber Lynn said...

I am glad you share this. Christians are all sorts and styles and demographics with one cord tying us all- Christ! God doesn't ask for perfection. Doesn't demand it. He just loves us where we are at. that is our model.

http://hyperyouth.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I know you're right! If he did demand perfection, I'd be in trouble!!!