Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Here we go!!!

Here we go with my new blog! I’ve got a bunch of stuff on my heart that I feel the need to share. Like I said in the About Me column, I’m a Christian with a “Mental Illness”. First, let me say this, I really, really believe that using the words Mental & Illness together is really a misnomer. If I’ve got an Illness, I go see the doctor, get a shot or take some meds, & I normally get over my illness in a few days. Rather then saying Mental Illness, I believe that using the term “Mental Disorder” would be much more appropriate.

I look at it this way, I was also born with Spina Bifida. I have a very mild case of Spina Bifida & it only affects three vertebrae, but none the less I still have Spina Bifida. You notice I never said that I have “Spina Bifida Illness”? Spina Bifida is something that you have for years and sometimes life. Mental Disorders are the same way. Many, many Mental disorders are inherited just the same way that my Spina Bifida was. We now know Bi-Polar Disorder, ADHD, Depression, and many other Mental Disorders are inherited in your genes. Click on my Depression & Bi-Polar Support Alliance link to find out more!

Another thing that I want to touch on here is my walk with Jesus. I can tell you this that if had not been for Jesus being in my life I truly believe that I would not be here now. Not only did Jesus save my soul, I also believe that Jesus literally saved my life! When my depression hit an all-time low a few months back, the last thing I had to fall back on was Jesus! I listened to hours on end to Christian Rock. Jesus ministered to me immensely through Air1 Radio (see my link to Air1). I also spent quite a bit of time in the Bible reading God’s word and letting Jesus speak to me through his word. And finally, either by myself, or with my wife holding me tightly to her bossum, I shed a ton of tears and gave them to Jesus!

I know that there are a ton of people out there with mental disorders who are searching for a relationship with God, or a god, or even “some higher power”. This blog is for you. As I go blogging along, I’ll share about my walk with Jesus. Keep in mind I am Bi-Polar. There will be high points, there will be low points. I hope to have people send me questions. My Pastor, Pastor Rob Rotolla of Word of Life Church in Wichita, Kansas told me today he is there to support me in this. Our church also has a counseling center led by a state certified pdoc. So, if anyone asks something I’m not sure of or I can’t answer, I have a great church with a bunch of experts who will be glad to step up & help answer these questions! Fire Away!

I think I’m off to a pretty good start! Stop by & see my blog every few days, you might just be surprised with what you might see here or learn!

No comments: