Sunday, October 30, 2005

Communication

Communication is key in anything that you do. I’ve noticed that with today’s hectic, busy lifestyle sometimes people don’t communicate like they should. For those of us that have ADHD it’s just magnified over and over. One of the first coping strategies that I learned after my ADHD diagnosis is that I need to write everything down.

I’ve started making notes about a week before I have an appointment with one of the docs on my Care Team about problems I’m having and also too about what seems to be working. I also make notes on my symptoms. Then with about two or three days before those appointments I’ll pull all of my notes together and start trying to put everything on one sheet. On the night before my appointment I’ll write out one sheet using my computer so that when I go see my doc I can hand this sheet to either my doc or their nurse.

Using this method I’ve found that I can get more done in the twenty minutes that I’m normally allotted then I had got done in twice that time before. Not to mention I don’t have to try and remember everything that I want to talk about. In addition my docs have a sheet they can put in my file and look back on too. My docs love it and so do I! My wife is even impressed that I’m getting organized this well!

Just a quick little tidbit I thought that I’d throw out in hope that it may help someone!

Be Blessed!!!

BIG SCOTT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great technique!!! Thanks for sharing. Since I have attention deficit problems, I'm going to do the same thing. I never remember everything I need to tell the doc when I go to an appointment. And I think this is a good technique for going to a job interview, too.

-Kat
www.xanga.com/Katies_Purple_Cat