Thursday, December 18, 2008

My Temple

I did it! I finally broke below 500 pounds! I just weighed in and fully clothed with jacket on I weighed 504. If you subtract for the shoes, clothing, jacket, cell phone and etc. it would put me in right at 499 pounds! This is quite an improvement considering for the past two years or so I’ve been hanging around the 520 – 530 pound range! If I remember right when I weighed in about two months ago I weighed in right at 530 pounds. That would be a net weight loss of right at 5% over a two month period. At this rate I should be able to hit my first goal of loosing 100 pounds sometime in 2009!

Now that I’m actually loosing weight again I can start setting goals. As I mentioned above my first goal is to hit 400 pounds sometime in 2009. As much weight as I have to loose these first goals should be pretty easy to hit. I’m setting a long range goal, like a 2-3 year goal of getting back down under 300 pounds. I haven’t been under 300 pounds since the late 1980’s! Eventually I’d like to get back down to where I was when I graduated high school which would put me somewhere in the 250 pound range.

Another plus of loosing weight is that it should help with both my cholesterol & blood sugar levels. Right now my bad cholesterol levels are just fine but my good cholesterol levels are pretty low. In addition I'm taking the max dose I can right now of pills to keep my diabetes in check. If my blood sugar levels in the evenings don't start coming down I'll be on insulin for life, which is something I really don't want. My doctor told me yesterday we're going to give it one more month on the pills. She said with exercise, diet, & pills if I keep working hard I should be able to beat having to take insulin if I keep loosing weight!

One thing that I’m going to do to hold my self accountable if to keep putting updates on my blog here. If I make public what I’m doing then I will have a ton more willpower to be successful in my weight loss battle. Another thing that I’ve been doing is seeing my doctor on a regular basis, about every 4-6 weeks. I went in yesterday and saw my doctor and while I was there I had my yearly “guys” cancer screening since I had just had another birthday. I’m happy to report that everything came back negative!

As a side note here one of the biggest killers of men over the age of 45 is either prostate cancer or colon cancer. Not only do I highly recommend, but numerous other medical doctors & health agencies recommend that all guys 45 & older get their prostate checked every year and while that’s being done have what’s called a PSAT test where they check for blood in your stool. It’s not that bad and it could save your life!

Paul said in 1 Corinthians 6: 19 & 20: Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body. Knowing this it’s about time I do some rebuilding and remodeling on my temple! I hope my journey will encourage you as I travel along!

Be Blessed!!!

Big Scott

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Great blog. A word of encouragement. I'm bp, too. And a Christian. and I blog. stay blessed!