Saturday, April 01, 2006

A Father's Heart

Over the years I’ve said that one of the best ways to understand how God has a Father’s Heart for you is to have kids yourself. I’ve learned more about being a Christian and how to approach my Father God from my kids then I could have ever hoped to learn from any other source. For years and years I’ve sat under some pretty great pastors and teachers but everything that they taught me really didn’t start to make sense until we started having kids.

Our daughter that had surgery on her hand Monday has really opened my eyes this week about a proper attitude and how to come see Daddy even when things are down. When she was getting prepped for surgery and was scared she wanted her Father. After the surgery she needed her Daddy. In fact as her Daddy I had the privilege to pick her up from her gurney and carry her to her bed. And this week while she’s been recovering she makes sure that every day she comes and sits on her Daddy’s lap and makes sure that Daddy puts his arms around her and holds her tight.

As she is my child and I am her father so are we children of God. Look at what the Apostle Paul has to say in Romans 8:14-16.
“For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.
So you should not be like cowering, fearful slaves. You should behave instead like God's very own children, adopted into his family-calling him "Father, dear Father." For his Holy Spirit speaks to us deep in our hearts and tells us that we are God's children.”

If I come to my Father as my daughter comes to her father how much better of a relationship can I then have with my Father? My daughter moves her father’s heart. When my daughter comes to me and spends that personal time with me I can’t help but pour out my love on her. The same way it is with my Father. When I come to Him, open up to Him, crawl in His lap, and just let Him hold me, then He too can not help but to pour out His love on me. We are told in God’s word we need to be like a child. Jesus said in Mark 10:14 & 15
"Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I assure you, anyone who doesn't have their kind of faith will never get into the Kingdom of God."

To be as a child when I come to my Father means that I just have to have the faith to simply trust him and do what he tells me to do. I need to spend time with my Father on a daily basis. The more time I spend with my Father, the more I read what He has wrote me in His word, the more I seek to be like my Father the more pleased my Father will be with me. When my Father is pleased with me I can’t help but feel special and feel loved!

Be Blessed!

BIG SCOTT

No comments: