Monday, January 12, 2009

Still Loosing to Win... Barely!!!

Don’t ask me how I’m doing it as I’m not sure but I’m still loosing weight. I weighed in again today and I weighed in right at 490 pounds. That’s 3 pounds since I weighed in last week and 40 pounds since I started two months ago. For that I need to thank God because I know it’s all him because I fell off the wagon way to many times this past two weeks to have done this well!

I had a heart to heart talk with my wife and she agreed not to make any more cakes, cookies, or sweets for a while. I explained to her that having an eating disorder is just like having an alcohol or drug addiction. If you expose someone who is trying to go clean day after day to drugs or alcohol they’re going to fall off of the wagon so to say. They’re going to fall right back into alcoholism or drug abuse.

It’s the same way when someone has an eating disorder. I’ve been fed all kinds of wonderful, great tasting food all of my life and I’ve never been taught moderation. Unlike drugs and alcohol you just can’t go cold turkey and quit eating food as you need food to survive. What you have to do is retrain your body and your mind to eat in moderation and even more importantly, eat the proper foods and drink the proper drinks.

There are foods out there that you can eat all you want and you won’t get fat. However there are many, many more foods out there that you shouldn’t touch with the proverbial ten foot pole if you’re trying to loose weight! For instance anything with refined sugars should be avoided at all costs while fresh veggies such as carrots, celery, radishes, green peppers and such can be sliced up and ate to your hearts content as long as you avoid the fattening dressings!

Right now I’m caught in quagmire of a trap. With our finite resources of us being on a set income every month we can’t afford many of the weight loss foods that I really need to be eating. So what I’m doing instead is watching my helping size and doing my best to eat in moderation.

Another thing that I need to be doing right now is that I need to get into a consistent and steady exercise program. Right now I try to walk two to three times a day. This is really hard on my knees and I’ll be glad when we get the money to get our YMCA membership back so I can do water aerobics as per the doctors orders. My doctor tells me that water exercises burns huge amounts of calories and will be low impact on my tired and arthritic knees. Praise God, I’ll be glad to get into that pool!

Anyway, I hope that by me being public with my struggles, sometime failures, and my triumphs I hope that I can encourage you and others to be successful too!

Be Blessed!!!

BIG SCOTT

No comments: