Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Moon Shines Bright!

Here we go again!  Here’s a story that I wrote for my American Literature class in college.  We had to write about something that happened to us that was not good but turned out to be funny.  I hope you get a kick out of it!

Be Blessed!

BIG SCOTT

It was November 1976, I was in the Eighth Grade, and it was the opening game of the Ingalls Junior High basketball season.  I was the starting center.  The game started off great for me as I controlled the tip-off and as we went down court I broke through the key with the ball, shot, missed, rebounded my own shot, shot again and scored.  This was a great way to start the season, or so I thought.

It wasn’t long after that we had the same play set up again but this time the ball got loose and as I dove for the loose ball on the floor I heard it, a great big, loud, rip!  I had just blown out my basketball uniform shorts!  To make matters worse I had only a jock strap on under my shorts!  As I stood to my feet I heard the crowd roaring with laughter!  Was I ever embarrassed!  

I looked over at our coach who was trying his darnedest not to bust a gut to loud laughing and he just signaled me to the dressing room.  I left the floor to hoots and hollers.  I can only imagine how red my face was.  Looking back I’m really surprised that I was traumatized for life over what had just happened!
     
I was so shocked over what had just happened that I just went back to the locker room, switched to my practice shorts and came back out.  When I came out the coach put me right back in.  As I went in all I could hear was shouts such as “Hey Scott, check your shorts!” or someone saying loudly “RIP!”  It took me a bit to get back into the game, but I stood firm and I wound up having a pretty good game.
     
I guess you could call this one of those character building events in your life.  I don’t know what else you would call it!  Even now, thirty years later, I can still look back at that one event and laugh about it.  You know, that on event became one of the highlights of my Junior High years.  What started out as one of the most traumatic events of when I was in school wound up being one of the most hilarious!

No comments: